Facilitator: Katie Grayson
Supported By: Immersive Technologies Skillnet & Screen Ireland
Dates: Monday 26th, Tuesday 27th, Thurs 29th
Duration: 6.00pm – 9.00pm
Max Participants: 12
Even for the most experienced producer or project manager, XR projects can be particularly daunting.
And that’s not surprising – XR budgets and schedules cross production method, funding models, they overlap between software creation and creative content production.
We’re not making films, we’re making software – but software that is often asset-heavy and of a quality high enough for public consumption in a very short space of time and with low budgets in comparison to other creative content.
You may be relying on R&D funding models but you still need a clear roadmap through to final delivery.
Business models are untested or non-existent – making it hard to justify investment to financiers, and makes identifying value and profit model difficult.
This masterclass dives into the specifics of XR projects so that you can:
- Understand the XR-specific process/tasks/risks/costs of each stage of the project and each means of production
- Learn how to manage and mitigate risk
- Building a budget for different funding models (work for hire, grant, finance/investment)
- Identifying value, USP and negotiation points through the budget – for you, co-producers, financiers and partners
- Covering the important stuff – cashflow/cost management, legal and accountancy requirements, contingency
What will this course cover?
- Practical tips on creating project plans, schedules and budgets for XR from scratch
- Getting over the fear of the blank spreadsheet
- Balancing innovation and R&D with the need to deliver a finished product
- How to set priorities and use them to keep your decision making on track
- How to feel more comfortable with the idea of risk
- The important stuff – cashflow, contingency, finance
- How to maximise your chances of funding and successful delivery
Each 30 – 40 minute section will include time for Q&A around specific subjects.
Participants will be provided with a collection of useful templates to use in the exercise at the end of Session 2. Dummy briefs can be provided if needed but it would be helpful if the attendees had a current or past project to use in the budgeting exercise.
Session 1 (3 hours)
- Budgeting basics – time is money
- “Schedule First” approach
- The challenges of producing for XR
- How to plan for success in an innovation project
Session 2 (3 hours)
- The Production Lifecycle of an XR Project
- Contingency and Risk
- Task – Build a Basic Budget
Session 3 (3 hours)
- Open Q&A – response to the task
- How to turn your budget into the budget (the important stuff)
- Takeaways and sum up
Who would this workshop benefit?
- People with production experience in the screen sector/creative industries but looking to develop XR projects for the first time
- XR creators who have never received any production training or guidance on best practice.
- Innovation managers/PMs working in businesses with a remit to deliver immersive R&D projects.
From BAFTA-winning LittleBigPlanet to pioneering XR and real-time workflows, Katie Grayson is a fearless hands-on producer of technically challenging and creatively exceptional projects.
Bringing her experience at the intersection of games, film, animation and XR to innovation-led projects, she is Executive Producer at Passion Animation Studios for Real-time, R&D and Emerging Technology, and also advises and consults across various sectors in XR with a focus on quality of user experience and scalable distribution.
With over 8 years’ experience in immersive technologies, her most recent VR project Laika, directed by Academy Award winning director Asif Kapadia premiered at the 2021 BFI London Film Festival. She is an Epic Megagrant recipient, Webby Award Winner and Emmy Nominee.
Register & Pay
via Paypal below
If you are paying via company accounts dept., please choose the ‘invoice’ option (Fig.1) and Immersive Technologies Skillnet will invoice you accordingly.
Registration Deadline: Monday 19th September 5pm
There is a 7 day cancellation policy in place. Fees cannot be refunded if places are cancelled inside of the 7 day period prior to the commencement date (but can be transferred to another participant up to 24hrs in advance of commencement date).
If the event has sold out – please add your name to this Budgeting & Scheduling for XR Projects waiting list, and if it is run again, we will contact you.
IMPORTANT: Places are open to Republic of Ireland based participants only. Persons outside of the ROI do not qualify for the Immersive Technologies Skillnet subsidy.
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For any technical issues when applying on the website please contact Jessica Bressan: email@example.com
- XR: Budgeting & Scheduling
26th September 2022 - 28th September 2022
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm